Originally formed in 1797 from the Lowland Scots counties of Eastlothian, Westlothian,
Midlothian and Berwickshire, it evolved and changed names several times over its history.
This tunic would date between 1846, when the unit was reformed as the “Lothians and
Berwickshire Regiment of Yeomanry Cavalry”, and 1888 when it was renamed “Lothians
and Berwickshire Imperial Yeomanry”. It is single-breasted and fashioned of scarlet wool
with quilted red silk lining with inside pocket, trimmed with gold brocade, braided toggle
buttons and chainmail shoulder scales. Gilt brass sleeve buttons bearing a crown
surrounded by “LOTHIAN & BERWICK YEOMANRY CAV.” At the jacket closure is a row
of small sewn-on acorn-shaped brass beads on each side. Heavy gold bullion
embroidered sleeve patch depicting a crowned lyre bordered by oak leaves. Worn maker’s
label “Daniel Smith/DUNBAR”. Very attractive tunic in generally very good condition for its
age of approximately 150 years with bright colors and minor mothing; sleeve seams are
open and the red leather band on the inside around the bottom is loose with a portion
attached with a safety pin. Well worth restoration, but displays well as-is.