Remington Arms completed a contract for 20,000 Maynard primed locks and percussion
bolsters between 1855 and 1859 which were supplied to the Frankford Arsenal in
Philadelphia. These were used on various makes of the M1816 flintlock musket to bring
it up to modern standards with rifled barrels, Maynard primed percussion locks, and long
range leaf sights. The vast majority of these featured the original .69 caliber 42″ barrel
with three barrel bands, but this example is of typical Navy length with a 32″ rifled barrel
and two barrel bands. Six hundred of these were delivered to the US Navy in 1857, of
which this is likely an example. Rear of lockplate marked “REMINGTON’S / ILION / N.Y.
/ 1857 / U.S.”. Barrel is unmarked and features an adjustable leaf sight marked to 400
yards, with a fixed blade front sight mounted on the front barrel band. Inspector’s mark
“0″ is stamped on many of the iron parts, with “US” on the buttplate tang. Walnut stock
with faint cartouche opposite the lock; sound and showing minor handling marks. Most
metal parts smooth with minor pitting, with heavier pitting at the breech. Lock and
priming system works smoothly. Overall length 47 1/2″. Scarce arsenal conversion rifle
which likely saw service during the Civil War.