24th Michigan “Iron Brigade” Painted Snare Drum.

$3,295.00

Description

Laminated wood shell hand-painted in red & gold around the sides “Iron Brigade.” on one
side and “24th M.V.I. with black maltese cross in a red circle on the other. The maltese
cross was the symbol of the 5th Army Corps. Wood rims, steel tension rods with brass
clamps. Top drumhead replaced, bottom drumhead broken with loss. No maker’s label.
Appears totally righteous. 16″ in diameter, 7” tall. From the Collection of Don Limpert of
Detroit, the city where the 24th Michigan was raised. As a boy he was interested in Civil
War history and was present at many GAR parades. Working as a contractor restoring
older homes in Detroit and its suburbs, he came upon many Civil War artifacts and
amassed a sizeable collection. In 2012 he restored a building in Eaton Rapids and
donated it to become Michigan’s GAR Memorial Hall and Museum.

The 24th Michigan Volunteer Infantry was organized on August 15, 1862 in Detroit and on
October 8, 1862 joined the famous Iron Brigade, also known as the “Black Hats” because
they wore the black 1858 Hardee Hat. The regiment was heavily engaged at
Fredericksburg, but achieved its greatest fame at Gettysburg where they suffered 397
casualties out of their compliment of 496, an 80% casualty rate. Five color bearers were
killed and all of the color guard killed or wounded. They continued to serve in the Army of
the Potomac and were heavily engaged in the Wilderness Campaign, Spotsylvania, Cold
Harbor, and Petersburg. Though not present at Appomattox, they were chosen as escort
for the funeral of President Abraham Lincoln. The regiment mustered out on June 30,
1865 in Detroit. The 24th was part of the 1st Corps during the Battle of Gettysburg and
joined the 5th Corps in March, 1864, so this drum would not have been at Gettysburg, but
it could very possibly have been carried at Lincoln’s funeral. A rare opportunity to own an
important witness to American History