This early spiked tomahawk was originally displayed at the Niagara Falls Museum,
Canada’s oldest museum, founded in 1827. The museum closed its doors to the public in
1999 and the tomahawk was later sold. This double-eared tomahawk features hand
forged spade blade, oval-section spike with a slight downward curve, and elliptical eye
with seam marks; mounted on its original ash handle. Head is 7 1/2″ long, with 16″
handle. Included is a signed letter of authenticity from Bill Jamieson, director and
researcher at the museum. Also included is a copy of “Cataract News”, 1993, Niagara
Falls newspaper, with articles about the museum. This tomahawk is shown in Lar
Hothem’s book “Ornamental Indian Artifacts”, page 392. This rare example was no doubt
traded to the upper New York State Iroquois Federation of tribes. The magnificent forged
head shows signs of usage and a dark rich patina. Haft shows some checking and rich
age patina. One of the finest spiked tomahawks from Tom Richards’ vast collection.
Very early style, not fancy and made just for killing.