Basket hilt formed of sheet iron with plates pierced with circles and saltires (a couple period
repairs, as typically found). Forward-looping guard bars on the underside and wide
scrolled reverse quillon. Conical pommel with button; plain wood grip with black leather
and twisted brass wire wrap, secured by an iron ferrule at the top (minor leather loss).
Single-edged 30” backsword blade with long single fuller at the back edge, tip slightly
rounded. Blade likely made by either Drury or Jeffreys, as were most of these, but it
appears that any blade markings may have been intentionally obscured during its working
life. Several thousand of these basket-hilted backswords were provided to the 87th, 88th,
and 89th Highland regiments in 1759, and later to other Highland Regiments. Many of
these swords made their way to the American Colonies and saw service with Highland
Regiments during the French & Indian War, American Revolution, and War of 1812.
Lightly pitted with an even gunmetal finish.